bruce arthur wins twitter tonight
I despise him a lot. He’s homophobic and sexist and racist and yeah, I really hate him.
- He said he didn’t believe female reporters should be in the male dressing rooms.
- In 1993, he stated the Anglo residents of Sault Ste. Marie in Ontario spoke “the good language” (basically bashing the french and their language.)
- Made numerous racist remarks about french canadians and people of Québec such as calling them whiners and thieves.
- For example, in October 1991, he defended Eric Lindros’ decision to shun the Quebec Nordiques by saying ‘They don’t want our signs … they don’t want our language and then they can’t understand why an 18-year-old kid from Ontario doesn’t want to go there. Get with it.’
- During the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City, two Russian cross-country skiers tested positive on a drug test and were disqualified. Don Cherry commented on the issue by saying “I’ve been trying to tell you for so long about the Russians. What kind of people they are and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism.” He later said he didn’t regret a word of that declaration.
- Also he called the Russians ‘quitters’.
- After seeing New York Islanders player Zigmund Palffy kiss teammate Travis Green on the lips after scoring against the New Jersey Devils, Cherry said: “I know those guys who wear visors are sweeties, but that’s a little too much.”
- In 1989, Winnipeg Jets’ owner Barry Shenkarow threatened to sue Cherry for referring to the team’s assistant coach, Finn Alpo Suhonen, as “some kind of dog food.”
- Said the best thing about the Canadian Football League was that there were “no Russians or Swedes playing.”